History Timeline of PCHS
Marge Mourning began helping area unwanted animals by taking out a small ad in the local newspaper,
then finding new homes for those unclaimed.
Marge Mourning establishes Paws & Claws. Rescued animals were all placed into caring foster homes. 100% volunteer staffed. Paws and Claws funded by Membership dues and donations only.
Paws and Claws Incorporated as a 501[c]  Nonprofit.
Salem Corners Property purchased, [30 dogs in a kennel facility]
Marge Retires and new board formed.
Office established on 1st Ave. SW (now City Market). Hired 1st paid staff (1 employee). Cats boarded at area kennels awaiting adoption. Post Bulletin features weekly adoptable pet.
Initiated free monthly spay/neuter programs with area Veterinarians.
Cat Shelter moved to location south on 1st Avenue (near old KTTC bldg.). 50 to 75 cats housed and cared for. Initiated Active community education programs: schools, youth groups.
Paws and Claws has Pet of the Week spot weekly on KTTC-TV. Expanded Public education and public relations
Cat Shelter Expanded and moved to Eastwood Rd. Facility [65+ cats]. Community Spay/Neuter Fund initiated and Guardian Angel Program Started.
Dog Shelter moves to 7th Street location (old Cascade Clinic). Housed 40 – 45 dogs on site
Paws and Claws begins selling city animal license tags.
New Strategic Plan created and implemented.
Land donated to Paws and Claws for new building. Hired first shelter manager.
Consolidated Cat and Dog Shelters into the rented 7th Street Facility (both dogs and cats).
2007 – 2010
Emphasis on Capital Campaign to raise funds to build a permanent new shelter.
Board decides to build new 3 million dollar shelter on prime donated land. Board obtains mortgage. Architect and Builder selected.
Construction of new shelter begins at 3224 19th St NW.
New shelter grand opening in July.
2014 – 2015
Number of adoptions increases to over 1000 per year.
“Burn the Mortgage Campaign” begins.
Entire Mortgage payed off.
Number of adoptions increases to over 1300 per year.